For Hanukkah 2017, here are eight devotions on the subject of light prepared by myself and three guest authors in 2015 in honor of the Father of Lights and to help Christians understand this ancient Jewish festival. You’re invited to check them out and share with a friend.
1. Festival of Light: Hanukkah Day 1
2. Hanukkah Day 2: Centuries of Protection
3. This post – Be Aglow: Miracle of Oil
4. Day 4: Gail Golden/Hanukkah’s Light
5. Day 5: Songs! Hanukkah Parody
6. Day 6: Dr. Dean Spitzer: Rededication Time (a Messianic Jewish perspective)
7. Contagious Courage – Theresa Miles as an Italian Catholic from NY
8. Thank you, Mrs. Goodman
Shalom and Hanukkah Sameach!
John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire” (Luke 3:16).
Pass the jelly donuts and potato pancakes (fried latke) … Hanukkah is a celebration I can support. Eating foods cooked in oil is a symbolic way to remember the oil that burned for eight nights.
To review, the Maccabees found only a single cruse of olive oil that had escaped contamination by the Greeks when they sought to light the Temple’s menorah. Miraculously, the one-day supply burned the entire eight days, until new oil could be prepared under conditions of ritual purity. It would take seven days to purify more oil.
My understanding is that the Jewish tenacity in adhering to their rigorous rules of purity and impurity enrages the…
View original post 561 more words